Library of Universitas Gadjah Mada becomes a center of global information services supported with appropriate technology that puts priority on research and posgraduate studies.
- To be a center of scientific information reference for all academics in the University
- To be a reliable support unit of the University in the undertaking of three duties of higher education (learning, research, and community service)
- To facilitate life long learning and be the second home of all academics in the University
Universitas Gadjah Mada (UGM) Library (Main) was established on March 1, 1951 at Panembahan Senopati Street (now Hotel Limaran) Yogyakarta. Then on the 19th December 1959 the Library moved to Sekip Unit V, occupying a building formerly used for Colombo Conference. Now the Library is located at Bulaksumur, next to the Central Office of the University.
Based on the Rector Decree No. 200/P/SK/HT/2008 dated on 9th May 2008, the management of Graduate and Postgraduate UGM Library was merged into UGM Library Unit III with 1,782 m2 area. Starting April 1, 2012, the three units were situated in one location, which is in Bulaksumur Yogyakarta. With two recent additional buildings, the university library is supposed to provide better services for the users.
Since 1951 up to now, the library has undergone several changes of leadership, as follows: